Thursday, September 2, 2010

During my visit to camp in July I was there to do some canoe work. Part of the task was to examine what tooling resources are in the NEW SHOP!

Not much.

So I put together a list...a rather long list.

Then I got to work on a canoe. One of the Wabasca canoes, the ones that every one refers to as the "Jamie Thompsons" was canvassed, filled, and painted last year. That meant that it was ready for gunnels. Except that one of the pair was broken during the work session last year.

What to do, what to do.?

While checking out the canoe parts stuffed up into the rafters I found some gunnels, including a pair of nice spruce gunnels stock which I decided to take back to the shop for the Peterborough project, and pair of new Oak gunnels. The Oak gunnels were way over size so I cut them down, and I rounded over the corners.

Here is the canoe getting the gunnels installed. I left the canoe with the gunnels sanded and ready for varnish.


I had a helper for a few hours. Thanks David!


No comments: