Saturday, August 15, 2009

This is the first canoe that I restored for MPC. It so happens that it returned to camp during the 60th anniversary celebrations, and since then has been referred to as "The 60th".

It was with this canoe that I really started thinking about our role as stewards of these canoes, their role in facilitating our oral history, and how we can individualize the canoes to aid our memories. It was with this in mind that I decided to do this two tone paint job and to add the pin striping. Mark Barkey was doing some intern work with me that winter, so I drew upon his sign painting experience and asked him to paint "Manitoba Pioneer Camp" along the side, just under the gunnel. This is the first canoe that I am aware of, that is labelled as camp's.

This is one of the Jamie Thompson canoes.

No comments: